no rules...no politics...just ridin'

Karma

I witnessed a rider hitting the bitumen on a low speed turn this morning. I was actually riding towards the guy as he was positioning to turn across the road I was on when his bike just dropped. I naturally pulled over - even though he was madly gesturing for me to stop - and helped him right the bike. He was only a little guy so I don't think he would have been able to do so on his own. Nice bike too - looked like an HD Sportster with some custom wheels and fenders. Bit of fuel spilt but luckily for him he only had a bit of road rash on his pegs and right side mirror - no paint or pipe damage - although it was still pretty dark.

I made sure he was ok and asked him what happened. He just mumbled something and pointed to some loose stones on the road, so I assume he was unlucky and hit them. The thing that really got me was this guys total lack of acknowledgement. The whole time he was only concerned about his bike - which is fair enough - and said next to nothing to me. Not even a thanks!! I don't like making a big deal over something so trivial but there was something about this guy which really pissed me off. Maybe he was a little shocked about dropping his bike BUT it would have been good for him just to say thanks for stopping. After he finished inspecting his bike he re-mounted. I waited and watched him as he took off and he didn't even bother look my way, wave or anything.

I believe that what goes around comes around. If I see a rider stopped or even worse, down, I will always stop to make sure all is ok and assist them. I have had it happen to me about 5 or 6 times where I have pulled off the road to wait for someone or check something on my bike and other riders who I don't know pull in to check all is ok. These guys don't have to stop, but in doing so they promote the commraderie that exists between most riders. I always thank them and they continue on their way.

This was the first experience where I almost felt like I had done something wrong by stopping. I suppose you get some riders like that!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep hear you their beaker i've had the same thing happen but i was in the car .But your right true bike riders will always stop for a another rider in trouble

7:35 AM  
Blogger ellopez said...

that is the sign of a "real biker", one who helps others without being asked. the only time i've not stopped, and i still haven't forgiven myself for not stopping, was on my way home after an all day poker run in the driving rain with my wife on the back of the bike, and just ahead in slow traffic we see a lady whose bike had fallen over while waiting for a light. My wife was drenched and it no mood for any good deeds and told me to just continue home. the downed lady biker appeared to be ok and her bike was almost back up, so after determining it wasn't a life threatening situation, i adhered to my wifes request, which if not complied with could be life threatening. thanks for your tales and keep them coming...
brl

9:01 PM  
Blogger Beaker said...

Glad to see I am not the only one - I do enjoy stopping to offer assistance - it is one of the ways that we as bikers get to meet other bikers.

I just think this guy got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

No matter what the reaction, you do what's right and that's what you did. It is a shame he didn't thank you.

The one time I dropped my Harley it was because I stopped and couldn't get good footing down (due to gravel). There was so much I couldn't get clear footing to pick the bike up so there I was sitting there until someone pulled over. He got my many thanks...

7:49 AM  
Blogger Lucky said...

Dude was probably just thoroughly humiliated. A "thanks" was definitely appropriate, shame on him. Harleys are HEAVY.

Good of you to stop, anyway. Don't quit trying to help just because of one bozo with no manners.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home