no rules...no politics...just ridin'

You Never Loose The Passion

I had an experience on Saturday that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It was one of those chance meetings that seem to happen when riding. Kat and I had planned a Satruday afternoon cruise with Koff and Tiki through northern New South Wales. We rode to the Uki Pub for lunch and then, whilst eating, decided to head out to Nimbin and then along a very secluded country road via The Channons into Lismore. The ride itself was as always, fantastic - we rode through some spectacular country and also did what seems to be happening more regularly as of late - a bit of dirt road riding.

Anyway, we pulled over to discuss which route we were going to take home and by chance we stopped on the road, right outside a servo on the Bruxner Hwy in Lismore. As we were standing talking, an old model Peugeot pulled up to the pump closest to where we had stopped with an elderly couple in it - they looked like they were on their way out somewhere and we commented on how you don't see much of that anymore in the city. The gentleman who was driving the car saw us and when he saw the bikes you could see the look on his face change - he looked like a little boy in a lolly shop. He immediately got out of the car, albeit very slowly, and walked towards us with a look of admiration on his face. He stood there for a while checking the bikes out and then started talking to us. He told us how he was one of the first in Sydney to take possession of a motorcycle way back in the mid 1930's. He continued talking about the Indian's he owned and where he used to ride them - he was full of information and full of passion!!

All the while his wife had been sitting patiently in the car watching. He finally left us and helped his wife out of the passenger seat so that she could go inside. He then started to fill his car and we continued discussing where we were headed and commenting how enthusiastic he seemed. About 10 minutes later after paying for his fuel we noticed him on his way back over - he finally reached us and this time started asking about our bikes and commenting on how they looked. After another few minutes his wife eventually returned to the car and they left to continue on thier way.

This experience really demonstrated the effect motorbikes can have on people - this 87 year old gentleman got a thrill out of recounting some of the times he spent on his bike. He was not scared to approach us and share some of his enthusiasm with us and he touched all of us with his stories. I hope I too can share my experiences as he did and never loose the passion I have for two wheels.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a similar thing happen 2 weeks ago down the gold coast kinda makes it worth while . gd69

7:11 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

It's really inspiring to hear the stories of riders, new and old. I love to hear about older folks' journeys. When I'm on my motorcycle I find that if I just smile and say hi to a complete stranger, they will come over and chat up a storm. I have met many nice people on my motorcycle. So many people are intrigued with the motorcycle.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Beaker said...

You are correct - so many people are intrigued and I suppose more so with lady riders - but it is really great when an older guy shows such emotion. I love riding and all the great people you meet!!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lucky said...

I hope I'm still riding when I'm 87. :D

It's great getting to talk about motorcycles with someone that loves bikes instead sitting through a bunch of stories about who they know that got killed/maimed/whatever on a motorcycle.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

That is such a great story!! I always have the best tales with 'drive by' chats--at the gas station, red lights and parking lots. I think it's super!

It's amazing what stories people have....I'm still constantly amazed.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Jennette said...

I love your avatar!!!! I did go out today for a little bit and it did feel good, uneventful for writing about it except that I had fun and the thumb is working now!! I also ordered the Biker Friendly stickers! Thanks for the site.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Jennette said...

I came back to read this story...again! I loved it. Meeting a pioneer and hearing his story to pass around is a prize! Hope you meet up with him again..would love to hear some of his stories!

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home