no rules...no politics...just ridin'

September 11

2,996 is a tribute to the victims of 9/11. On September 11, 2006, 2,996 volunteer bloggers will join together for a tribute to the victims of 9/11. Each person will pay tribute to a single victim. We will honor them by remembering their lives, and not by remembering their murderers.

I realise that I am an Australian and so may seem a little removed from what occurred on this day five years ago. I still remember exactly what I was doing on hearing the news and then watching the buildings collapse - it was early morning and after arriving at work a mate of mine asked whether I had seen what was going on. The rest of my day was spent watching the TV and trawling the internet for some sort of confirmation of what was happening. I did not know anyone who was involved but many innocent people were murdered in cold blood, so I thought I would participate in paying tribute to one of the 2996 victims.


John J. Badagliacca
35 Years Old,
New York, N.Y., USA
Bond Salesman for Cantor Fitzgerald


Not that many people get to be somebody's soul mate. John J. Badagliacca truly did, says his wife. It began when they were 10 and she fell over his bicycle in their Staten Island schoolyard. They became friends that day and were married in 1992.

O.K., they did break up a few times. Sort of. Mr. Badagliacca wanted to date others when he took a share in a summer house and when he got his first car. "All the convenient times," Nancy Badagliacca said with a laugh. "But we had all the same friends, were always together. We were perfect for each other. The first kiss was his, the first everything."

They enjoyed the same things, especially spending time with their children, Nikki, 6, and John, 4, at their summer home. Mr. Badagliacca, 35, a bond salesman with Cantor Fitzgerald, rebuilt that old house in Brick, N.J., from the beams out with his brother-in-law.

He kept their house in Staten Island in good shape, too.

"He was soooo organized," Mrs. Badagliacca recalled. "If a bulb went out he would have to change it in the next minute. If my cabinets got messy, he would reorganize them. It would drive me nuts! And his tools -- you can't touch his tools."

He was so handy that she would tell him he could change professions. "I'd say, 'You could do just that.'" She paused. "I wish he did."


THE NEW YORK TIMES on December 28, 2001


I will remember my cousin John as always happy, always a smile on his face. He was quick with a joke, always laughing. I don't think I ever saw him sad.

He was a beautiful person, inside and out. I wish I could've told him how much I loved him, how much he meant to me. I will never forget the fun we had as children
growing up. He touched my life in many ways. I will miss him forever, and I'll
never, ever forget him.

Lisa Migdalen, cousin



Such a waste of life, but he will be remembered.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Beaker,

what a great tribute on John Badagliacca. I think it's awesome that you did this.

Thank you, Betty :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

PS: My tribute to one of the fallen firefighters of 9-11 is up now.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Ro said...

Very well done tribute, Beaker. Thank you. I am also honoring two people for 2996, one of whom also worked at Cantor Fitzgerald...one of the bloggers set up a blog specifically linking the Cantor Fitzgerald family, there's a link on my blog entry for Bernard Pietronico if you want to check it out.

Thank you for remembering...
Ro

1:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh wow - my heart is with his family. Thank you for sharing him with us. This was very well done.

I remember Steven Hagis

11:54 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Jennette said...

Wow! Beaker, thanks for introducing us to a great hero. not just Americans were touched by 9/11, obviously, so its great to read your tribute to John. 9/11 is a worldwide tragedy and your writing of John and his family can now have meaning to those who never knew him.
Peace

2:44 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Wonderful Tribute!
Thank you.
These are sad and hard to read....
I am honored to be a part of this project.
Mine is posted also...

The 2996 link is down. I have a new link on my site to view the participants.

Bless you…

4:36 AM  
Blogger Canadianna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Canadianna said...

You've written a lovely tribute.
Like you, I don't think of this as an American tragedy. We all watched in shock and horror that day. I read a tribute by a man in India earlier today and it made me realize how globally it was felt. Your post is a wonderful memoriam.

9:57 AM  
Blogger kateandjona said...

Thank you for your beautiful words.

Jonathon's Closet remembers Robert Levine, another Cantor employee.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ray said...

Great job on behalf of Ron, he will be remembered. See Eddie Dillard if you wish, and thanks again.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute! Thanks for participating and honouring ... they are no longer just a name to us now.

Mine's up.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Cup said...

What a lovely tribute, Beaker. You brought John Badagliacca to life for me, and left me just a little sadder on this sad day. My heart goes out to his wife and children.

My tribute to Dinah Webster is now on my blog.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home