no rules...no politics...just ridin'

Disc Lock Moment

Ever had one of those moments where you jump on your bike and take off, only to find that you forgot to remove your disc lock?? Well I did yesterday and I dropped the bike - AGAIN!

I had to take my daughter to the local hospital for a check up - nothing too serious - and as my bike was parked in an isolated area, I decided to use my disc lock. We went in, and about an hour later we were out. On returning to the bike I started it up, we put on our lids and I got on. Cass got on the back and after checking she was ready, we moved off slowly turning to the left. Then....it happened - the disc lock hit the brake caliper and the front end took a big dive.

Because I was slowly turning the bike and had extra weight on the back, it lurched to the left and down we went. I quickly slid out from underneath and got her upright. I made sure that Cass was alright, then removed the offending lock from my front disc. No injuries to either of us but the X wasn't so lucky - the clutch lever was bent slightly and the left rear turn signal housing was crushed. Fortunately, nothing too bad as I was able to cushion the fall. The left rear turn signal was damaged when I went down a couple of months ago, and so I had already purchased another second hand one - just hadn't fitted it.

So last night I spent some time replacing the damaged turn signal, all the while cursing myself for letting this happen. I usually check my front disc for the lock before jumping on the bike, but for some reason yesterday I didn't. Unlike a car, motorbikes are very non-forgiving and if you are not focussed, you pay the price. This time for me it was just a bruised ego and some minor damage.

Think I'll go out and buy one of these reminder-cables!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embarassing!

I'm glad no one got hurt though.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

I'm glad no one got hurt too. I've been thinking the disk locks would be a great idea if I get out and do more traveling around the state. If I ever do I will try and remember your lesson so I don't have to create my own.

4:22 PM  
Blogger mynewcat said...

I made the same boo-boo last night. I was chatting on the phone getting myself ready while I warmed up the engine - then just forgot to do that major step that I do every time I get on the bike! - snapped the end of my brake lever but nothing more than that really. I had to tell two helpful passers by never to tell anyone what they just saw!

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home