no rules...no politics...just ridin'

What is a biker??

I was just reading an interesting blog by two American guys living in Japan and stumbled across their definitions of what a biker is....

Stinger's version....
The short answer to the question "what's a biker?" A biker is not just one who owns a motorcycle. There are numerous people who own multiple bikes, but never ride them. A biker is someone who owns and rides a motorcycle, and not merely as a means of transportation. Being a biker means taking a motorcycle on long journeys, day and night, rain or shine. And a biker shares a certain rapport with his/her motorcycle. A biker loves being on the road and the heightened sense of their surroundings. A biker respects nature, being so close to it so often. A true biker cares less what you ride and more that you ride. A biker is an adventurer, one who transcends normal life, welcomes the freedom of open motion, and the ecstasy and peace of mind gleaned from it. A biker is a generous and respectful person, who helps those in need and believes in "live and let live". And a biker is driven by spiritual, rather than material needs.

Big Ben's version....
The best definition I ever heard was this: You know a biker by the look in the eyes as you pass each other and wave, a look that says "You ride too, and you know what I'm smiling about." As far as I'm concerned, if you understand what I'm talking about, you're a biker, end of story. And for you posers out there too blinded by brand loyalties to see that it's all about FREEDOM, baby, remember what my brother Carl Whitecrow said when some loser told him his CB 750 was Jap Crap: "It sure as hell beats walking, don't it?"

Read about them here.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Jennette said...

I like that post! Some people just don't get it! Just need to ride the ride, who cares what you ride... today I saw a girl riding a scooter. We were at the stoplight together and she noticed my Harley wings on the back of my SUV. I yelled to her and told her I loved her scooter, she said back that she wanted a Harley, that her whole family rides and they bought her the scoot. We both had a giggle laugh and in the end, she was enjoying her little ride!! I loved it and meeting her and being reminded that anyone who rides is just out enjoying our FREEDOM. Thanks for a great post!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

This post sums it up so well!! It puts into words what most of us who post, and don't post, feel. I've read this same thing in other blogs and in other words.

To me it's always riding. Sometimes I get all antsy just to get on my bike. I don't care where, I just want to get on it and go. I hate when life circumstances, or weather, prevents me.

Wishing many adventures to all.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Beaker said...

I think that both Stinger and Big Ben got it right with what they have written - bottom line is it doesn't matter what you ride, just as long as you do, and it beats walking hands down!

I agree with you Betty - I too get 'antsy' like you Betty and yet I ride my bike everyday. Ahh....the call of the open road.......

7:16 AM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

Thanks for the link, Beaker. It's nice to see people reading those old posts. It's been seven years since I wrote that, and I'd probably phrase it differently now, but the heart of it is the same.

We mostly don't need to put it into words because we see it in the eyes of the people we ride with and the eyes of the other bikers we pass on the road. That one word, "Freedom", is the best we can do in human language, but the wind blowing past us says it better than words can.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home