no rules...no politics...just ridin'

New Gear

Whilst I have been working here in Almaty, I have had plenty of time to trawl the net and do a little research on some gear that I have been keen to purchase.

First up was a helmet. I currently have 2 helmets - a Nolan open face and a HJC flip up, but they are now both around 3 to 4 years old and I thought it was time to find something a little newer. I specifically wanted a solid full face helmet to provide some relief from the wind noise that I am subjected to with both of my current helmets. I started looking around for something a little different and finally found a brand, Craft, that I thought I would check out. I read quite a lot of reviews on their range and decided on the RX-6 in flat black - a streetfighter style helmet that not only looks the goods but according to the reviews that I did read, is very comfortable and very quiet. I purchased it over the internet from Kneedraggers.com in the US - even with a $70 shipping charge they are still cheaper than purchasing them in Australia. Obviously there is always a little bit of a worry on sizing when you can't try the helmet on before buying, but I was willing to risk that. Can't wait to try it out and provide a review!!

Craft RX-6 Helmet - may the force be with you!!
The next item on my little list was a pair of summer gloves. I wanted a pair of gloves that offered some protection but were not too bulky, especially in the humid summer months back in Brisbane. These were a little harder to find than the helmet as there is not a lot around that don't have lairy graphics or colouring on them - I just wanted a plain pair of short leather gloves in a single colour, but not black.

I found exactly what I was after in the Icon Pursuiit - a short, supple leather glove with knuckle armour and lots of holes for ventilation. There were a lot of good reviews about the airflow and the thickness of the leather, both of which were my main concern, and they were available in different colours - I ended up purchasing a tan pair off eBay. Another product review on the way when I return to Oz!!

Icon Pursuit Gloves
The final bit of gear that I needed was a weatherproof shoulder bag. Because I carry my laptop with me to and from work I needed something that it would fit into as well as protect it from the weather. I found exactly what I required on the AndyStrapz site - an oilskin shoulderbag that was not too big, but with enough room for everything I need to carry, the Scoota Bag. I actually ordered this a few weeks back and was able to bring it back with me from my last trip home instead of the bulky, heavy standard laptop bag, and so far it has been great. The big test for it will come when I am caught on the bike in the rain - I will provide a full review once it has been 'broken in'.

Scoota Bag, although mine is the oilskin version

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been looking for a cool summer glove. Can't wait to hear about how the Icon Pursuits work on the road!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home