no rules...no politics...just ridin'

Being Prepared...

Was out on the roads south of Brisbane again yesterday after spending the previous weekend down there to celebrate my license return. Rode with a mate of mine and we put quite a few more miles on the bikes. Over Tamborine, down the Numinbah, Burringbar to Brunwick Heads for a fantastic feed, then headed back via Tomewin Road and up the drag strip they call the M1. Weather was perfect with not too much traffic and not one candy car in sight all day. Dropped into my mates place for him to unload some gear and we then both headed back to my place.

We were on the downhill stretch coming up to a set of traffic lights, and then IT happened. A young girl driving a Hyundai decides to turn across in front of me. My first thought was 'Oh shit, I AM GONE'. I deliberately kept away from the front brakes as there were too many white lines and I would prefer to go into rather than under her car, if I had a choice. Locked up the rear brake - it slowed me just enough and as the rear end started to fishtail it pointed the bike in the right direction and I somehow managed to clear the rear of her car by no more than six inches. Scared the crap out of me. I pulled up a little further down the road with my mate and he told me that I did a good job - I really didn't care if I did a shit job, as long as I missed her. I was doing the speed limit, it was starting to get dark and I thought I was visible, but some people just seem to have no speed/distance perception. I was really pissed off at this young chick, but after thinking about it, I am just glad that she didn't decide to yank the brakes on in the middle of the intersection, otherwise I would either be in a hospital bed or the morgue now. I really don't know how I didn't hit her.

After further reflection today, I realised that I was more at fault. I was very, very lucky and I reckon when you are forced into survival mode, you do what comes naturally. Doesn't matter how good you think you are or what you have been taught, the brain just takes over - instinct kicks in. The bottom line is I was not riding defensively, not even thinking this kind of thing would happen to me, when in reality, that is what we should all be doing - my own fault more so than hers. The one thing I have learnt is that when coming up to lights just be prepared for this kind action from the car waiting to turn.

A very good lesson for me, and one I will not forget in a hurry.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Motorcycle Paradise said...

Had a similar experience when a young guy pulled out from Stoney Creek Road while I was travelling to Kyogle.

I'm trying many things now to see if I can make myself more visible.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home